Wednesday, January 10, 2018

How to Own a Space


I was given a room, an old one.

It was pretty furnished - a bed, a fan, a small closet,
Oh! And a nicely-varnished bookshelf.
Then there were...
few little things the former dwellers used.

I looked around and saw the walls peeling, 
discolored from past rains coming in. 
A cracked glass window let in dusty air.
Corners were covered with nets to keep off insects.

It was now my room, such an old one.

So I grabbed a broom, a mop, a trash bag,
then prepared a rag and a basin of water.
I scrubbed the floor, surfaces, edges,
and wiped things off to my satisfaction.

I pulled in my piano and set a chair,
and pushed in my study desk.
Then I hanged my clothes in the closet,
and placed my shoes and boots on the rack.

I then brought out bottles of paint and brushes,
and dabbed colors on walls and windows.
I formed lines, vines, and roses
then plastered sheets of paintings and sketched faces.

I turned around, looking at all that I made.
I adored the change, oh I loved the remake!
The room, sure was an old one,
But it was now a different space.

This room is now my place.

No comments:

Post a Comment